Video / Digital Microscopy
What you must do
- All you really have to do to start is find a nice
"colloidal" sample. Colloids are generally
particulate materials that have a "small" size.
Let's say they should be smaller than about 5 mm.
- You should obtain from me
instruction and a hand-out how to set the microscope for
- You will use the MetaMorph or Kodak software to
obtain a nice image.
- Process and improve image in Adobe Photoshop,
Image Composer, Irfan View, etc.
- Make whatever assumptions you need
(justify them) and convert your size distribution to a
- Realize that objects we require a
microscope to see are actually still huge compared
to normal macromolecules, including the one you studied
You will be instructed in a problem set how to
report. So that you can plan, it will go something like
- Show me an image of your sample.
- Publish it to website (relax--we're working on
making this easy)
- Make a histogram plot of number of
particles vs. size and number of particles vs.